Tuesday, September 13, 2011

$1,000,000,000.00

I have cooked at many locations. One place I worked at was a reserve bank. A reserve bank is a bank that stores lots and lots of money. You know those armored trucks? Have you ever wonder where they go? This is it.
I am not going to tell you where this is, in case you get the bright idea to rob them, not that you could. You see, where they store the $$$$$$$ they have a rotating floor. So if you get past the armed security and by some miracle get into the money room, with a press of a button, the whole floor rotates, closing off the only exit and locking you inside with your money. Cool.
After working there for a few weeks, and making some friends and gaining their trust, I ask if I could tour the money room. After a bit of paper work, I was given the okay! Down the elevator I went with the armored security guards. Walking into the money room, which is very large, I found 7 or so large rooms. Each separated from the next with Plexiglas walls. Each room contained only one type of currency, 1's, 2’s, 5's, 10's, 20's, 100's, and coin. Each room had large stainless steel carts filled with money. The final room was the room where this massive machine stood. It was about 30 feet long and 10 feet tall. There were people in this room. I was told this machine could counted, separate, destroyed old money, and checked for counterfeit bills, all at the same time. It runs very fast. There was this real cool clear tube at the end that shot up the old shredded money. This machine was so important that the bank had a full-time employee from the maker, in-house; to make sure it was always working. One of the workers came over and showed me one of the newly discovered counterfeit bills. I think it was a twenty.
I got to watch an armored truck unload. They use dollies to transport the money and use floor scales to count it.
I was only down there for maybe 5 minutes. When it was time to go, I got the nerve to ask the less that sociable security guard, just how much money was I looking at. He said if I could utter a word that started with the letter B I would be very close.
I guess some grade schools get to tour the money room. Man, I went to the wrong school.
While I have no pictures of the room, I do have a picture of a fruit tray I did for them. It was a very small catering.


1 comment: