Sunday, November 20, 2011

Vegan Cookies

I have worked at 10 cafeterias within Compass over the last 20 years. One constant has been the choice of cookies: 
Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Sugar, and Snickerdoodles

If I were to write a professional vegan cookbook,  I would need to include these cookies, and they would have to be:

1) Delicious
2) Look exactly like regular cookies
3) Remain soft for a couple of days
4) Made with common ingredients found in all kitchens: This would require using vegetable oil instead of vegan margarine and no egg replacer powder.
And,
The recipes would have to make at least 6 dozen large cookies.


Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies 
(Should I have used more chocolate chips? 
Is there such a thing as too many chocolate chips?)


My Recipe Book
(no looking)

Oatmeal cookies
One secret I found: Let the batter sit for 30 minutes before scooping to allow the oatmeal to soften and the batter to thicken.

Everyone wants me to substitute the raisins with chocolate chips.

Most kitchens use convection ovens so be careful with 
the time and temperature.
Rotate the cookie sheets for even cooking.

Yummy!

It must be some kind of unwritten kitchen law to flatten peanut butter cookies with a fork...
(see recipe on recipe page/tab)

Ready for their close-up.

When making a recipe, I always round down on the yield.
This guarantees you have enough 
no matter how much cookie dough you eat.

I like the way they puff slightly and then get 
little cracks in the dough.

Snickerdoodles cooling on a speed rack. 

Snickerdoodles are versatile. With a little frosting they can be made
into a completely different cookie.




by Brian P. McCarthy







The Vegan 
Family Cookbook
by Brian P. McCarthy



3 comments: